Current status: Closed
This consultation closed on February 25, 2022.
CIPO is committed to achieving a high standard of accessibility as defined in the Standard on Web Accessibility and the Standard on Optimizing Websites and Applications for Mobile Devices. In the event of difficulty using this page, please contact us for assistance or to obtain alternative formats.
About the consultation
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) is seeking feedback on proposed changes to the Manual of Patent Office Practice (MOPOP). These changes relate primarily to the integration of guidance from the practice notice entitled "Patentable Subject-matter under the Patent Act."
The target audience for this consultation includes the patent professional community, persons or organizations involved in innovation, and the Canadian public. The period for public comment is 10 weeks running from December 15, 2021 to February 25, 2022.
MOPOP is a guide for patent examiners, applicants, agents and the public looking for information about the operational procedures and examination practices of the Patent Office under the Patent Act and Patent Rules.
As the practice notice introduced changes in the fundamental concept of purposive construction as well as in the assessment of patentable subject-matter, several chapters of MOPOP have been affected. There are significant proposed changes to the whole of chapter 17 (Subject-matter) and chapter 22 (Computer-implemented Inventions). Chapter 12 (Fundamentals of Examination) and chapter 23 (Biotechnology and Medicinal Inventions) have significant proposed changes in certain sections. Chapter 18 (Anticipation, Obviousness and Double-Patenting) only has a few proposed changes relating to the Practice Notice but some additional proposed changes were introduced to the section on Obviousness to better clarify the guidance in view of recent jurisprudence.
Note that we've verified the accessibility of these PDFs.
- Proposed Chapter 12 (Fundamentals of Examination) (PDF: 457 KB; 18 pages)
- Proposed Chapter 17 (Subject-matter) (PDF: 236 KB; 12 pages)
- Proposed Chapter 18 (Anticipation, Obviousness and Double-patenting) (PDF: 734 KB; 47 pages)
- Proposed Chapter 22 (Computer-implemented Inventions) (PDF: 476 KB; 33 pages)
- Proposed Chapter 23 (Biotechnology and Medicinal Inventions) (PDF: 1,104 KB; 89 pages)
Comments received during the consultation
- FICPI Canada (PDF: 121 KB; 6 pages)
- IPIC (PDF: 458 KB; 26 pages)
- Patent Act
- Patent Rules
- Current version of MOPOP
- Practice Notice relating to Patentable Subject-matter under the Patent Act
- Examples of Patentable Subject-matter Analysis
If you have any questions regarding these consultations or require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Jeremy McLean or our Client Service Centre.
Follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook for the latest developments.
We thank you for your time and interest.