In November 2021, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) is launching a national entry request (NER) online solution, for submitting Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) national entry requests. This solution will be available to patent applicants who enter the Canadian national phase of their PCT application.
As part of this initiative, we will publish the new NER online solution on our website. You will be able to use this solution to complete all the steps of the PCT national entry process. Once your application is successfully submitted and the fee is paid, you will instantly receive a national entry date and Canadian application number! See the list below for more details.
Once we've launched the NER online solution, you will no longer have to submit national entry requests via our general correspondence form.
Steps for the national entry process
1. Prepare your patent application for PCT national entry
After you log in to the new NER online solution with your My ISED Account credentials, you can complete the following tasks as part of your PCT national entry application:
- Attach documents in PDF or text format and assign a 'document type' using dropdown menus
- Application documents, if required
- Additional documents, if required
- Examples include a voluntary amendment or a general fee authorization statement
- Verify PCT application information at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Provide the Digital Access Service access code needed to permit CIPO to use the WIPO Digital Access Service, if required
- Provide priority information
- Define a party and provide their contact information
- Define inventor, applicant, applicant-inventor, agent, or associate agent
- Provide a postal address
- Indicate whether correspondence should be sent by email or by postal mail
- This system can be used to provide information for parties associated with a single application
- Please note: This system cannot be used to update the contact information for an agent firm or for other applications or patents
- Make requests and statements, including those requiring fee payments:
- Indicate small entity status
- Request examination
- Request advanced examination
- Request accelerated examination
- Request early public inspection
- Register documents
- Save draft patent applications for later submission (filing)
- Verify formalities before submitting
2. File your application
Once you've completed your application, submit it using our NER online solution. Prosecution of the application will be carried out according to statutory requirements as contained in the Patent Act and Patent Rules.
3. Make your payment
You can pay by credit card or deposit account.
4. View copies of documents after submission
After you've submitted your application, you can use our NER online solution to view a copy of the acknowledgement letter and/or a copy of the filed application. These are PDF documents that can be downloaded for your records.
A screenshot of starting a new national entry application