Current status: Closed
Public consultations on the proposed Patent Rules in December 2018
Canada Gazette, Part I: Opened on December 1, 2018 and closed on December 31, 2018
Sender: Canadian Intellectual Property Offic (CIPO)
The Government of Canada is modernizing Canada's intellectual property (IP) framework so that we can join five international IP treaties, including the Patent Law Treaty (PLT).
Participation in these international agreements will better align Canada's IP systems with our major international trading partners, making it easier for innovative Canadian businesses to protect their IP at home and abroad. It will also help to make Canada a more attractive destination for foreign investment and encourage companies to bring innovations to market more quickly, to the benefit of Canadian consumers.
We have already made amendments to the Patent Act to comply with the requirements of the PLT, and are now in the process of amending the accompanying Rules which will guide us on how the Act is applied.
This consultation specifically pertains to the proposed amendments to the Patent Rules. In line with our commitment to inclusive, meaningful, open, transparent and balanced consultations, we want to hear your views and comments on the proposed Rules.
What we heard
This public consultation on proposed amendments to the Patent Rules was an opportunity for you to learn about the proposed amendments and their potential impacts and benefits. Individuals were encouraged to read the patent consultation documents listed below and were invited to ask questions and provide comments related to the Patent Rules.
- Consultation document – Abandonment & reinstatement of patent applications, deemed expiry and reversal of deemed expiry of patents
- Consultation document – Fees
- Consultation document – Priority
- Consultation document – Compliant patent application
- Consultation document – Corrections
- Consultation document – Examination process and amendments to applications
- Consultation document – Filing requirements
- Consultation document – Representation
- Consultation document – Third party rights and due care
- Consultation document – Transfers, change of name and related documents
- Consultation document – Transitional provisions
Comments received during Canada Gazette, Part I
December 1 to December 31, 2018
- Coleen Morrison ( FICPI Canada), PDF (PDF: 93 KB; 8 pages)
- Gary M. Travis (RICHES, McKENZIE & HERBERT LLP), PDF (PDF: 234 KB; 5 pages)
- IPIC , PDF (PDF: 487 KB; 17 pages)
- David Campbell, email (PDF: 88 KB; 1 page)
- Wissam Aoun (International Intellectual Property Law Clinic), email (PDF: 180 KB; 3 pages)
Canadian Intellectual Property Office
Place du Portage I
50 Victoria Street, room C-114
Gatineau, QC K1A 0C9