A comprehensive list of all related documents and publications issued by the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO).
On this page
- Intellectual property
- Industrial designs
- Integrated circuit topographies
- Request a publication
- Permission to reproduce
Enter a word or part of a word that might match what you are looking for into the text box below. We will narrow down the list to show only items that contain the term you have entered.
Intellectual property (IP) is a creation of the mind. IP includes inventions, literary and artistic works, designs and symbols, and names and images used in business.
- A book of Canadian innovation (PDF: 475 KB; 16 pages)
- Doing business abroad: Protecting your IP (PDF: 458 KB; 1 page)
- Doing business abroad: Protecting your IP in China (PDF: 6.39 MB; 10 pages)
- Doing business abroad: Protecting your IP in the European Union (PDF: 3.6 MB;12 pages)
- Doing business abroad: Protecting your IP in India (PDF: 4.1 MB; 12 pages)
- Doing business abroad: Protecting your IP in the United States (PDF: 2.5 MB; 12 pages)
- Intellectual property basics - Peter's path (PDF: 698 KB; 1 page)
- Intellectual property case studies (PDF: 2.35 MB; 2 pages)
- Intellectual property in Canada (PDF: 208 KB; 1 page)
- Intellectual property inventory checklist (PDF: 56 KB; 1 page)
- Intellectual property: It's yours. Own it. (PDF: 1.1 MB; 16 pages)
- Trade secrets (PDF: 593 KB; 1 page)
Copyright provides protection for literary, artistic, dramatic and musical creations.
Industrial design registration provides protection for the original visual features of a product.
- A guide to industrial designs
- Canadian classification manual (PDF: 168 KB; 37 pages)
- Fact sheet - Industrial designs (PDF: 602 KB; 1 page)
- Industrial Designs Notices
- Industrial Design Office practices (PDF: 198 KB; 23 pages)
- Industrial Design Office Practices, Annex B: Sample Drawings (PDF: 1.76 MB; 24 pages)
- IP roadmap – Your path to industrial design registration (PDF: 428 KB; 1 page)
- Legal and Technical Implications of Canadian Adherence to the Geneva Act of the Hague Agreement
Integrated circuit topographies
Integrated circuit topographies refer to the three-dimensional configurations of electronic circuits embodied in integrated circuit products or layout designs.
A patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, such as a product or a process.
- Patenting to Fight Pandemics
- Processing Artificial Intelligence: Highlighting the Canadian Patent Landscape (PDF, 10.085 KB 53 page)
- The Canadian Patent Office Record (CPOR)
- Manual of Patent Office Practice (MOPOP)
- Fact sheet - Patents (PDF: 612 KB; 1 page)
- Patented inventions in climate change mitigation technologies (PDF: 2.63 MB, 82 pages)
- Patent Landscape Report – Shale Oil and Gas (PDF: 2.63 MB, 82 pages)
- Patent Law Treaty Changes Required To Canadian Law & Practice
- Patent Notices
- Patents in Space - Highlighting Innovation in the Canadian Space Sector (PDF: 3 MB; 42 pages)
- Women's Participation in Patenting: An Analysis of PCT Applications Originating in Canada (PDF: 13.3 MB; 20 pages)
A trademark can protect a combination of words, sounds or designs used to distinguish your goods or services from those of others in the marketplace.
- A guide to trademarks
- Madrid Protocol: Canadian analysis (PDF: 539 KB; 85 pages)
- Fact sheet (PDF: 593 KB; 1 page)
- IP roadmap – Your path to trademark registration (PDF: 92 KB; 1 page)
- Trademarks Examination Manual
- Trademarks Journal
- Trademark practice notices
- What's in a Name? (PDF: 874 KB; 1 page)
CIPO is a part of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada. We are a special operating agency and are responsible for the administration and processing of the greater part of IP in Canada.
- Annual report 2020-2021 (PDF: 4.8 MB; 42 pages)
- Annual report 2019-2020 (PDF: 4.4 MB; 36 pages)
- Annual report 2018-2019 (PDF: 2.9 MB; 34 pages)
- Annual report 2017-2018 (PDF: 5.6 MB; 22 pages)
- Annual report 2016-2017 (PDF: 1.82 MB; 18 pages)
- Annual report 2015-2016 (PDF: 1.7 MB; 20 pages)
- CIPO business strategy 2017-2022 (PDF: 1.6 MB; 22 pages)
- CIPO Business Strategy Update (2015)
- CIPO Business Strategy Update (2013) (PDF: 1 MB; 2 pages)
- IP Canada Report 2020
- IP Canada Report 2019 (PDF: 5.4 MB; 54 pages)
- IP Canada Report 2018 (PDF: 3.53 MB; 52 pages)
- IP Canada Report 2017 (PDF: 8.7 MB; 33 pages)
- IP Canada Report 2016 (PDF: 2.57 MB; 34 pages)
- All statistics
Request a publicationSend a request
Permission to reproduce
Except as otherwise specifically noted, the information in these publications may be reproduced, in part or in whole and by any means, without charge or further permission from CIPO, provided that due diligence is exercised in ensuring the accuracy of the information reproduced, that CIPO is identified as the source institution, and that the reproduction is not represented as an official version of the information reproduced, nor as having been made in affiliation with, or with the endorsement of, CIPO.
For permission to reproduce the information in these publications for commercial redistribution, visit our page on how to apply for Crown Copyright Clearance.