The program currently has limited budget availability due to a high demand. Please contact a FedNor officer to discuss your project prior to submitting an application under the program.
Application for financial assistance:
Before completing your Application, carefully review the Northern Ontario Development Program ( NODP ) Guidelines to verify that your organization and proposed activities fit within the appropriate program criteria and priorities. FedNor will work to ensure project applications also align with the Government of Canada's Prosperity and Growth Strategy for Northern Ontario.
Complete an Application for Financial Assistance providing key contact and project information, along with a brief summary of how the proposed project will result in the following outcomes, based on the NODP priority under which you are applying:
- Increased community mobilization to identify and prioritize viable economic opportunities through strong decision making and planning;
- Strengthened economic competitiveness in the community through priorities to diversify and stimulate business investment and growth in the short- to medium-term (up to five years);
- Enhanced collaboration among stakeholders to achieve shared regional economic development goals in the short- to medium-term (up to five years).
Applicants will receive written or electronic confirmation that their Application has been received. While reviewing the information, FedNor may contact applicants for additional details to complete the application.
The results of the Application review will be communicated to applicants electronically or in writing.
Applications can be completed and submitted electronically, or printed and sent to the nearest FedNor office.
Phase Two Detailed Application:
Upon initial evaluation, FedNor will provide an electronic or written decision on whether the project should proceed to Phase Two. If selected to proceed, applicants will be invited to submit a Phase Two Detailed Application and provide supporting documentation. This may include a detailed business plan, financial statements, and articles of incorporation. The information required and instructions on how to proceed will be provided to applicants.
Phase Two Detailed Applications will be evaluated on their ability to support the objectives of the program and meet the following criteria:
- Applicant can demonstrate it has an established track record in the delivery of projects;
- Applicant has the expertise and the resources required to complete the proposed project;
- Applicants applying on behalf of a sector or industry represent the key project stakeholders;
- Applicants have established a clear project governance structure and decision-making process;
- The project addresses a need identified by end users and will not duplicate existing efforts or projects;
- Accountability mechanisms are in place to ensure due diligence in administering public funds and the ability to report on performance measures; and
- Identification of a person and position responsible for project delivery and management along with key officers that have signing authority.
Furthermore, Phase Two Detailed Applications must clearly demonstrate how the project will have short- to medium-term measurable results leading to the economic development of Northern Ontario communities and businesses, such as:
- Strategic economic development plans developed and/or implemented;
- Collaborative projects undertaken and the number of stakeholders involved;
- Community assets developed, modernized or expanded (e.g., industrial/business parks, waterfront developments);
- Increase in business investment and employment growth (jobs created and maintained).
Successful applicants will be required to report to FedNor on project expenditures and activities, the results/outcomes of the project, and achievement of performance indicators as identified in contribution agreements.
- A complete Application for Financial Assistance must first be submitted to determine your proposal's eligibility.
- Electronic or Written confirmation that an application may proceed to a Phase Two Detailed Application should not be interpreted as FedNor's approval of the proposed project or authorization to start with the proposed activities.
- Applicants cannot presume that financial support will be provided toward their project until written approval is obtained through a signed contribution agreement.
If you decide to accept public funding, depending on the nature of your project and the targeted clientele, you may be asked to assume official languages obligations among other obligations outlined in your contribution agreement.
FedNor requires that all projects conform to requirements set out in the Impact Assessment Act of Canada 2019 (IAA 2019). For details of IAA 2019 requirements please visit: : www.iaac-aeic.gc.ca.
For more information, please contact your local FedNor Officer or call us toll-free at 1-877-333-6673.