The application period for the Regional Relief and Recovery Fund is now closed.
This Application Guide has been developed to provide instructions to applicants on how to complete a FedNor Application for the Regional Relief and Recovery Fund (RRRF) - Regional economy stream in Northern Ontario.
This guide is organized according to the sections of the Application for Financial Assistance Form. When completing the Application for Funding, applicants are expected to complete the fields in each section or indicate if a field is not applicable.
Please consider the following when completing the application:
- Fields are mandatory unless marked with an asterisk (+). If a required field does not apply to you or the project, please enter “Not applicable”, zero (0), or a similar response.
- Limit answers to the space provided. Point form, or a bullet list, are acceptable, provided that the information is clear.
- Only one application per applicant will be assessed. If you accidentally submit more than one application, FedNor will only review the most recent application received.
It is highly recommended that you read the Applicant Guide before submitting an application form. Please pay particular attention to the eligibility criteria to determine if you can apply. Applicants are encouraged to address all submission requirements and ensure that the application submitted contains sufficient detail to enable a thorough review and assessment. Submitting an incomplete application may result in the delay of assessment and/or rejection of an application.
Applicants are encouraged to contact FedNor if they have any questions regarding the Application for Funding. For more information, call 1-877-333-6673 or contact a FedNor Officer.
Completing the application for funding
This section provides information on how to complete the various sections of the FedNor Application for Financial Assistance – Regional Relief and Recovery Fund.
While working on your application, please remember to regularly save the file.
FedNor Application for Financial Assistance Form
Section A: Applicant and Contact Information
- Legal name of Applicant: Provide the legal name of your business, per your Letters Patent or Incorporation Documents, if available.
Operating name (if different from legal name): The name under which business is publicly conducted. e.g., 123456 Ontario Ltd operating as XYZ Technologies.
- Organization Description and Mandate: Provide a brief overview of the business, including the main areas of business which generate revenues for the company.
*IMPORTANT* IF YOU ARE NOT OPERATING IN A PRIORITY SECTOR as defined in the Eligible Recipient section, Please highlight how your business or organization is of strategic importance to your community, region or supply chain. This may include, but is not limited to uniqueness, critical service provider, major employer, etc.
- Location and Contact Information: Provide the address where the headquarters of the company is located.
- Authorized Contact InformationFootnote 1: Identify and provide contact information for the person who is authorizedFootnote 2 to represent the business or organization, and who will be the main point of contact regarding the project. Ensure to indicate if the contact is an authorized signing officer.
- Alternative Contact InformationFootnote 1: Identify and provide contact information for a secondary contact that can be reached should the main contact be unavailable.
Ensure to indicate if the contact is an authorizedFootnote 2 signing officer.
- Mailing Address: Select “Same as” if the mailing address is the same as the physical address (#3). If different, provide the complete mailing address.
Date of Incorporation or Registration (YYYY-MM-DD): Provide the date stated on the company’s Articles of Incorporation, if incorporated, or the date the company was registered.
Business Number / Enterprise Number: Provide the unique nine-digit numerical identifier assigned by the Canada Revenue Agency. If you do not have a Business Number, enter “000000000” (Indigenous applicants only).
- Select the type of legal entity: Select the type of legal entity from the list provided.
- Identify your preferred language of correspondence. Select the language in which you would like to receive correspondence related to your application.
- Your Sector: Select the sector which best aligns with your primary focus or for which you are part of the supply chain, from the list provided.
Section A.1: Employee and Financial Overview
In this section you will be asked for financial information from the last two years of operation. Based on your fiscal years, please provide financial statements for 2018 and 2019, and the interim statements for 2020, if available.
If you have been in operation less than two years, please provide statements or interim statements for the period(s) that you have available.
A1.1 Number of your full-time equivalent employees in Canada: Identify the number of full-time equivalent employees in Canada (employed on March 15, 2020 – prior to the declaration of the COVID-19 Pandemic). A Full-time Equivalent (FTE) is defined as 1600 hours of work (or more) per year. To accumulate 1600 hours in a year, a person might work 40 hours per week for 40 weeks, but other scenarios do exist. Part-time employees should be calculated based on their equivalent to a FTE. For example, a part time employee working 20 hours per week for 40 weeks would be counted as 0.5 FTE.
A1.2 Financial Overview: Provide total revenues from all sources and net income amounts for your last two (2) fiscal years ending in 2020, 2019 or2018. For applicants in business less that two years, please provide your interim information.
A1.3 Status of Current Operations: Since the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak mid-March, have your current revenues decreased when compared to the same period in the previous year? (Yes/No)
If so, please indicate the percentage that your revenues decreased from last year.
Please identify if your business is closed (completely or partially), voluntarily or involuntarily, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Select “Yes” if your business has been closed.
- Select “No” if your business has remained open.
If yes, please provide the date your business closed.
Section B. COVID-19 Rapid Mitigation and Recovery Impacts
B.1 Describe how the current COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the state of your business, e.g. material cost increases or supply chain issues, reduced sales volume or revenue, lost business or contracts, employee layoffs, etc. Consider the following:
- Is your firm suffering reduced revenues, lost market share, and is at risk of layoffs or closure? Provide details on the impacts.
- How is your firm currently mitigating the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- How will the proposed funding help mitigate the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Provide any information that highlights your business’ significant importance to your community or region. (i.e. only provider of a service or product within a certain geographic area; key employer)
B.2 Identify if your organization is unable to access sufficient operating lines or credit facilities from your existing bank/commercial lender. (Yes/No)
B.3 Identify if you have business interruption insurance. (Yes/No) If yes, has a claim been filed and what is the amount recoverable?
B.4.1 Please describe how this funding will help bridge the financial gap over a six month period.
- Provide a description of how this funding will help your business stay in operation over a six month period.
B.4.2 If you have a recovery plan, please describe the steps you will take, or plan to take, to ensure long-term sustainability.
B.5 Use the table provided to identify the largest costs incurred by your business that requires bridge support over 6 months. The sum of these expenses over a 6 month period will be considered as your official request for financial assistance. For applicants requiring 12 months of bridge support, please add an extra line for total retroactive costs for an additional 6 month period. A FedNor officer will contact you for further details. By completing this table, you confirm that the funding requested in section B.5 is not eligible for, or supported by, other COVID-19 financial assistance.
The provided cost items are:
- Commercial Rent / Mortgage (rent is only eligible if not supported by the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance program)
- Property Taxes
- Phone and Internet
- Bank charges, interest and loan payments
- Professional Fees
- Cleaning Supplies
- Additional Safety Measures
- Vehicle operating expense
- Other (please describe)
You may provide up to five additional rows for “Other” expenses, including items such as Salaries and Benefits (only if not eligible or rejected through the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy).
Section C: Have You Requested Covid-19 Financial Assistance From Other Programs?
C.1 Next to each government program on the list, indicate the following:
- if you have applied or are not eligible,
- If you have applied, please add the amount that you have requested to the nearest dollar, and
- the status of your application.
An answer must be provided for all programs listed.
If you have applied for COVID-19 relief support from a program not listed, including provincial or municipal programs, please use the “Other” option to identify the program.
C.2 Please provide any comments you have on other COVID-19 funding. (If applicable) If you have received support or have an application pending for other COVID-19 funding supports, please identify how this funding request does not duplicate those other supports. i.e. how is this funding request complementary to other supports to fill your overall liquidity needs.
Section D: Equality and Diversity
The Government of Canada is committed to equality and diversity so that all Canadians have the opportunity to participate in and contribute to the growth of the economy. Filling in the following sections may have a bearing on how FedNor makes a determination on funding decisions. If your organization does not meet the definitions provided or you do not wish to declare your status, leave the fields blank.
Certain groups have been identified as facing additional barriers in accessing government funding. For the RRRF, the under-represented groups include: Women, Indigenous Peoples, Visible Minorities, Youth, Persons with Disabilities, LGBTQ2+, and Members of the Official Language Minority Community (in Northern Ontario, this is the French/Francophone community). Responses are based on self-identification and by submitting the application, you are certifying that all information provided therein is complete, true and accurate.
D1. Please indicate if your organization is owned, or majority owned by under-represented groups, such as Women, Indigenous Peoples, Visible Minorities, Youth, Persons with Disabilities, LGBTQ2+, and/or Members of the Official Language Minority Community. Majority led constitutes an individual and/or a group from one of the identified under-represented groups listed either:
- Owning 50% or more of the organization; or
- Having long-term control and management of the business, contribution of capital and an active role in both strategic and day-to-day decision making.
Please indicate if your business will influence one of the federal inclusive growth strategies for the under-represented groups.
D2. Please indicate if any aspect of your business occurs on federal lands, (Yes/No) where “Federal lands” means:
(a) lands that belong to Her Majesty in right of Canada, or that Her Majesty in right of Canada has the power to dispose of, and all waters on and airspace above those lands, other than lands under the administration and control of the Commissioner of Yukon, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut; and
(b) reserves, surrendered lands and any other lands that are set apart for the use and benefit of a band and that are subject to the Indian Act, and all waters on and airspace above those reserves or lands.
We anticipate a “No” answer to most applications, as the objective of this question helps the Government of Canada determine if potential capital funding will trigger a duty to consult, and where appropriate, accommodate Indigenous groups when it considers conduct that might adversely impact potential or established Aboriginal or treaty rights.
If you need assistance in answering this question, please contact FedNor.
Section E: Results
Please estimate which of the following economic benefits are anticipated to occur as a result of this funding:
- Will the funding sought aid your business to avert immediate failure (insolvency)? (Yes/No)
- Indicate the total number of full-time equivalent jobs that will be maintained if your application for funding is successful. Jobs maintained could be immediate or in the longer term as the COVID-19 pandemic subsides or as your organization adapts to operating in this new reality.
Note that a job maintained is a job that would have been lost without this support.
- To accumulate 1600 hours in a year, a person might work 40 hours per week for 40 weeks, but other scenarios do exist. A person year is defined as 1600 hours of work (or more) in a year. To accumulate 1600 hours in a year, a person might work 40 hours per week for 40 weeks, but other scenarios do exist. Hence 1 person year is equivalent to 1 FTE.
Section F: Certification
Please read this section to ensure that you are able to acknowledge and/or certify all of the listed statements.
Provide the name and title of the person submitting the application, the name of the person with signing authority for the Applicant, and the date on which the application was completed.
Prior to submitting the application, review the submission checklist to ensure all required documentation have been attached to the PDF. Using the “To add attachments” button at the top of the application form, attach the following documents:
- Historical financial statements for the last two (2) fiscal, include interim statements for the current year if available. If you have been in operation or generating revenues for less than two years, please attach any financial statements available for the current or previous year;
- Letters Patent or Incorporation Documents (Only if readily available); and
- Recovery Plan, if available.
Once all files have been attached, check the box following “Please confirm that the mandatory documentation, as described above, is attached to this application”.
Submit Your Application
If you are submitting the application electronically, you may now click on the “Submit” button. You do not need to sign the form. You will receive an automatic notification within 24 hours of the successful submission of your application. This notification will contain a reference number, please retain this information and a copy of your submission package in case of system overloads or errors.
Please see Part I of this document for information on the assessment process.
If you encounter error messages or security warnings while trying to submit your PDF application, please consult this guide.