Office of Consumer Affairs
Consumer Checklist for Buying Toys Online
Buying holiday gifts online this year? Stay merry and safe! Use this checklist when shopping for toys online.
Every year, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) holds a global awareness campaign to promote consumer product safety. This year's theme is the safety of toys sold online.
Buying measured goods: holiday desserts
Are you planning to treat yourself this holiday season? Before you buy the cake on display, make sure the packaging isn't included in the price of the item. You may also check that the weight scale used has a valid Measurement Canada inspection sticker. This also applies if you are buying ingredients in bulk to do your holiday baking at home.
For more tips on how to get what you pay for, visit Measurement Canada's website!
Apply for funding
The Contributions Program for Non-Profit Consumer and Voluntary Organizations is accepting applications for funding! Apply before January 29, 2021.
The program provides financial assistance to organizations in support of activities that promote the consumer's interest, such as:
- Research projects that contribute to knowledge translation of consumer protection issues
- Development projects aimed at strengthening consumer organizations' capacity
NEW this year:
- new project options
- enhanced contribution limits
- flexible timelines
To learn more and find out if your organization is eligible to apply, visit the Office of Consumer Affairs website or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 343-998-7313.
Support local and gifts that give back
This holiday season, give a gift you can feel good about by making your purchases in your community.
Some creative ideas for gift giving:
- Buy from a local small business
- Give a local experience, such as sightseeing in nature or tickets to a gallery
- Consider a handmade gift, made by you or by a local artisan
- Bake cookies or give the gift of a homemade meal
- Make a donation to a local charity in someone's name
However you choose to celebrate, we wish you the very best.
Thank you for subscribing to Consumer Edge! We'll be back in the New Year.