Year: 2018 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
Séminaire de Sherbrooke
195, rue Marquette
Sherbrooke, QC J1H 1L6
Subjects and grades taught: French and Drama, Secondary 3 and 4
Since two heads are better than one, Félix Arguin and Guillaume Laporte decided to combine their strengths to implement innovative projects that have transformed they teach French and English. Their integration of technology and creation of hands-on experiences have brought another dimension to their pedagogy and prepared their students to deal with the ever-changing world.
Félix and Guillaume love technology, a passion that has led them to create new teaching approaches that see students driving school projects. Their influence has transformed both their students' relationship with technology and that of the school.
In the Classroom
- Mass implementation of digital devices in the classroom (iPad, G Suite, interface Classroom) in order to reinvent teaching approaches and to integrate innovative French and English study projects
- Development of two techno-collaborative rooms where students can create robots and online tutorials; the rooms are also used by other teachers
- Creation of the #Suiveznostraces (follow our tracks) project, an initiative in which student learning ties into the needs of community organizations: students recycle ROBOT X electronic material, adapt and read fairy tales in early childhood centres, and create ad campaigns—texts, videos, social media —for community organizations (Fédération des écoles privées du Québec Innovation award at the secondary level in 2017)
- The Séminaire de Sherbrooke's robotics team, Évolution 2626, supervised by Guillaume, won the President's Award at the 2012 FIRST tournament
- Évolution 2626 also set up an annual summer robotics camp for children ages 6–12 (winner of the 2014 Concours québécois en entrepreneuriat award – Estrie)
- Guillaume is a certified Google educator and Félix is one of six certified Google trainers in Quebec, distinctions that have allowed them to share their knowledge of G Suite
"Feeling the synergy they bring to the classroom and seeing them dream out loud, dare to pursue the unimaginable, tear down obstacles, create opportunities and win over skeptics is what made me realize that these were truly exceptional, extraordinary teachers."