Current status: Closed
This consultation closed on
About the consultation
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) is conducting a public consultation on proposed amendments to the Trademarks Regulations (the Regulations), as well as on accompanying draft practice notices. These proposed amendments were developed to carry out the amendments that were made to the Trademarks Act (the Act) under Bill C-86 (the Budget Implementation Act, 2018, No. 2), which conferred to the Registrar of Trademarks (the Registrar) the authority to award costs, grant confidentiality orders and explicitly practice case management.
In line with our commitment to inclusive, meaningful, open, transparent and balanced consultations, we welcome your comments on the proposed amendments to the Regulations and the proposed practice notices.
How to participate
We value your views and would like to hear from businesses, individuals, agents, groups or organizations that have an interest in Canada's trademark regime in general or in proceedings before the Trademarks Opposition Board in particular.
This public consultation on proposed amendments to the Regulations and on draft practice notices is an opportunity for you to learn about and comment on how the Registrar will give effect to the amendments to the Act and the proposed amendments to the Regulations.
- Consultation document: Proposed amendments to the Trademarks Regulations and draft practice notices pertaining to proceedings before the Trademarks Opposition Board
- Draft - Cost awards in proceedings under sections 11.13, 38 and 45 of the Trademarks Act
- Draft - Practice notice on confidentiality orders
- Draft - Case management in proceedings under sections 11.13, 38 and 45 of the Trademarks Act
Participants are encouraged to review the proposed amendments to the Regulations and draft practice notices and to submit feedback to Guylaine Lefebvre by email before the end of the consultation period.
We thank you for your time and interest and look forward to your input.
What we heard
- Submission from Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP (PDF: 97 KB; 3 pages)
- Submission from Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP (PDF: 229 KB; 7 pages)
- Submission from Gowlings WLG (PDF: 879 KB; 24 pages)
- Submission from INTA (PDF: 592 KB; 24 pages)
- Submission from IPIC Trademark Committee (PDF: 263 KB; 3 pages)
- Submission from Smart & Biggar (PDF: 1.28 MB; 23 pages)
All feedback received will be taken into consideration and made available to the public following the consultation.
Building on our commitment to stakeholder engagement, we will continue to keep you informed as we move forward.
If you have any questions about this consultation, send an email to Guylaine Lefebvre or send your questions by regular mail to:
Trademarks Opposition Board
Canadian Intellectual Property Office
Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Place du Portage, Phase I
50 Victoria Street
Gatineau, QC K1A 0C9
Attention: Guylaine Lefebvre