The call for proposals will close on June 28, 2022 at 8:00pm Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).
Canadian businesses are among the most innovative in the world. Those that are able to leverage and use their Intellectual Property (IP) strategically are more likely to be innovative, expand domestically and internationally, and experience high growthFootnote 1.
On this page
- About ElevateIP
- About the call for proposals
- How to apply
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact us
- Related links
Building on the National Intellectual Property Strategy that was launched in 2018, the Government of Canada continues to further support Canadian innovators, startups, and technology-intensive businesses. In Budget 2021, the government announced $90 million over 4 years starting in 2022-2023 to create ElevateIP. This program will help Business Accelerators and Incubators (BAIs) to provide the tools Canadian startups need to better protect, strategically manage and leverage their IP. This includes:
- Facilitating IP supports by BAIs to startups in Canada;
- Increasing IP capacity in the BAI ecosystem in Canada through IP education for BAIs and their client startups; and
- Enabling BAIs to provide targeted supports that are customized to the unique requirements of each startup to help them secure and maintain IP rights.
ElevateIP will leverage the existing Canadian BAI network to provide targeted IP supports to startups, as a complement to the BAIs' existing suite of services, such as:
- Increasing IP awareness and educational opportunities for startups through activities such as workshops, programs, conferences, and peer-to-peer learning opportunities, so they have the foundational IP knowledge required to succeed.
- Developing IP Strategies and providing startups with the tools, talent and supports to manage and make the most of their IP assets.
- Implementing IP Strategies by enabling startups to realize the objectives of their IP Strategies
ElevateIP is committed to supporting inclusive access to IP supports for Canadian startups.
About the call for proposals
The Government of Canada is launching a call for proposals for ElevateIP to select recipient(s) to enter into contribution agreement(s) up to four years in length.
Who is eligible to apply
Eligible Applicants for ElevateIP are:
- Canadian not-for-profit BAIs; and
- Canadian not-for-profit organizations that represent networks of BAIs.
In the case of a group of eligible Applicants collaborating on a proposal, one eligible Applicant must act as the lead Applicant to submit the proposal.
Strong proposals will demonstrate collaboration at the national or regional level. Applicants are encouraged to reach out to their networks to discuss opportunities for collaboration under this proposal.
Consult the full eligibility criteria in the Program Guide.
How to apply
Interested and eligible Applicants will be required to submit a proposal package, including the Proposal Form. Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Program Guide prior to filling out to the Proposal Form. Applicants will also need to submit financial statements, confirmation of not-for-profit status, and a project plan.
Additional information about the evaluation can be found in the Program Guide and Proposal Form.
Proposal packages are due on June 28, 2022 at 8:00pm Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).
The proposal form is an electronic Adobe PDF form and can only be opened using Adobe Reader. We recommend that you download the PDF, save it locally and open it using Adobe Reader.
How to download and open a PDF form:
To download and open a PDF form, you need to have Adobe Reader 10 or higher, or any alternative non-web based PDF viewer/reader installed (Please note that free versions of Adobe PDF viewers/readers are available). Mobile devices such as iPads, tablets and mobile phones cannot be used.
Downloading and opening PDF files for PC users:
- Find the link of the file you want to save (you may need to go back to the previous page to find it).
- Right-click the link.
- Select "Save target as" or "Save link as".
- Choose the location on your computer where you would like to save the file.
- Select "Save".
- Use Windows Explorer to get to the location where you saved the file.
- Right click on the PDF file.
- Select "Open with".
- Select "Choose program".
- Select "Adobe Acrobat Reader".
- Make sure to check the box that says, "Always use this program to open these files".
- Select "OK".
Once the form is completed, ensure all required documents are attached to it and electronically submit by clicking on the "Submit" button at the bottom of the proposal form.
If you are still having difficulty after completing the above steps, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will assist you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the National Intellectual Property Strategy?
To assist companies in making better use of the IP system, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) launched a comprehensive National Intellectual Property Strategy intended to help businesses protect and capitalize on their IP through education and awareness initiatives, development of new IP tools, and legislative reform.
Are there existing IP supports for small businesses in Canada?
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) has compiled a list of Canadian IP Supports for Small Businesses which details many of the IP supports currently available for Canadian businesses.
Additionally, the government of Ontario has recently launched IP Ontario to help businesses in Ontario access IP supports.
How can I learn more about IP held by Canada's public sector?
ExploreIP: Canada's IP Marketplace, is an online resource for businesses to explore possible licensing and collaboration opportunities with public sector patent holders.
ElevateIP is pleased to present free webinars May 18 (English) and May 19 (French), 2022 at 1:00pm EDT. To register, please visit: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/elevateip-informational-webinar-tickets-328297646097
For any other questions you might have about the program contact us at: email@example.com or 1-800-328-6189.