The call for proposals is now closed.
Canadian businesses are among the most innovative in the world. Those that are able to leverage and use their Intellectual Property (IP) strategically are more likely to be innovative, expand domestically and internationally, and experience high growthFootnote 1.
On this page
- About ElevateIP
- About the call for proposals
- Frequently Asked Questions
- ElevateIP is Powered by Innovation Canada
- Contact us
- Related links
Building on the National Intellectual Property Strategy that was launched in 2018, the Government of Canada continues to further support Canadian innovators, startups, and technology-intensive businesses. In Budget 2021, the government announced $90 million over 4 years starting in 2022-2023 to create ElevateIP. This program will help Business Accelerators and Incubators (BAIs) to provide the tools Canadian startups need to better protect, strategically manage and leverage their IP. This includes:
- Facilitating IP supports by BAIs to startups in Canada;
- Increasing IP capacity in the BAI ecosystem in Canada through IP education for BAIs and their client startups; and
- Enabling BAIs to provide targeted supports that are customized to the unique requirements of each startup to help them secure and maintain IP rights.
ElevateIP will leverage the existing Canadian BAI network to provide targeted IP supports to startups, as a complement to the BAIs' existing suite of services, such as:
- Increasing IP awareness and educational opportunities for startups through activities such as workshops, programs, conferences, and peer-to-peer learning opportunities, so they have the foundational IP knowledge required to succeed.
- Developing IP Strategies and providing startups with the tools, talent and supports to manage and make the most of their IP assets.
- Implementing IP Strategies by enabling startups to realize the objectives of their IP Strategies
ElevateIP is committed to supporting inclusive access to IP supports for Canadian startups.
About the call for proposals
The Government of Canada launched a call for proposals for ElevateIP to select recipient(s) to enter into contribution agreement(s) up to four years in length. The call for proposals is now closed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the National Intellectual Property Strategy?
To assist companies in making better use of the IP system, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) launched a comprehensive National Intellectual Property Strategy intended to help businesses protect and capitalize on their IP through education and awareness initiatives, development of new IP tools, and legislative reform.
Are there existing IP supports for small businesses in Canada?
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) has compiled a list of Canadian IP Supports for Small Businesses which details many of the IP supports currently available for Canadian businesses.
Additionally, the government of Ontario has recently launched IP Ontario to help businesses in Ontario access IP supports.
How can I learn more about IP held by Canada's public sector?
ExploreIP: Canada's IP Marketplace, is an online resource for businesses to explore possible licensing and collaboration opportunities with public sector patent holders.
ElevateIP is Powered by Innovation Canada
At Innovation Canada, we back innovators. From funding to expert advice to driving new collaborations, our programs and services are designed to help businesses innovate, create jobs and grow Canada’s economy. We are committed to providing inclusive programs and cultivating a workplace that is both diverse and inclusive so that we can best support the businesses we serve.
For any other questions you might have about the program contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-328-6189.