Canadian businesses are among the most innovative in the world. Those that are able to leverage and use their Intellectual Property (IP) strategically are more likely to be innovative, expand domestically and internationally, and experience high growthFootnote 1.
On this page
Building on the National Intellectual Property Strategy that was launched in 2018, the Government of Canada continues to further support Canadian innovators, startups, and technology-intensive businesses. In Budget 2021, the government announced $90 million over 4 years starting in 2022-2023 to create ElevateIP. ElevateIP will help Business Accelerators and Incubators (BAIs) provide the tools Canadian startups need to understand, strategically manage and leverage their IP. This includes:
- Facilitating IP supports by BAIs to startups in Canada;
- Increasing IP capacity in the BAI ecosystem in Canada through IP education for BAIs and their client startups; and
- Enabling BAIs to provide targeted supports that are customized to the unique requirements of each startup to help them secure and maintain IP rights.
ElevateIP will leverage the existing Canadian BAI network to provide targeted IP supports to startups, as a complement to the BAIs' existing suite of services, such as:
- Increasing IP awareness and educational opportunities for startups through activities such as workshops, programs, conferences, and peer-to-peer learning opportunities, so they have the foundational IP knowledge required to succeed.
- Developing IP Strategies and providing startups with the tools, talent and supports to manage and make the most of their IP assets.
- Implementing IP Strategies by enabling startups to realize the objectives of their IP Strategies
ElevateIP is committed to supporting inclusive access to IP supports for Canadian startups.
Following a nation-wide competitive call for proposals and through a thorough assessment , the following Recipients have been selected to provide startups from across Canada with access to IP supports:
- Springboard Atlantic Inc. – supporting startups in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island
- Mouvement des accélérateurs d’innovation du Québec (MAIN) – supporting startups in Québec
- Communitech Corporation – supporting startups in Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan
- University of Calgary with Innovate Calgary & Economic Development Lethbridge – supporting startups in Alberta
- New Ventures BC Society – supporting startups in British Columbia, Yukon, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories
This investment will allow ElevateIP Recipients to provide Canadian startups with IP programming in three important areas: IP education and awareness, the development of IP strategies, and the implementation of IP strategies.
By providing these key supports, ElevateIP aims to increase IP capacity within the Canadian innovation ecosystem, provide supports that are accessible and inclusive, and assist startups in the development and implementation of IP strategies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the National Intellectual Property Strategy?
To assist companies in making better use of the IP system, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) launched a comprehensive National Intellectual Property Strategy intended to help businesses protect and capitalize on their IP through education and awareness initiatives, development of new IP tools, and legislative reform.
Are there existing IP supports for small businesses in Canada?
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) has compiled a list of Canadian IP Supports for Small Businesses which details many of the IP supports currently available for Canadian businesses.
Additionally, the government of Ontario has recently launched IP Ontario to help businesses in Ontario access IP supports.
How can I learn more about IP held by Canada's public sector?
ExploreIP: Canada's IP Marketplace, is an online resource for businesses to explore possible licensing and collaboration opportunities with public sector patent holders.
ElevateIP is Powered by Innovation Canada
At Innovation Canada, we back innovators. From funding to expert advice to driving new collaborations, our programs and services are designed to help businesses innovate, create jobs and grow Canada’s economy. We are committed to providing inclusive programs and cultivating a workplace that is both diverse and inclusive so that we can best support the businesses we serve.
For any other questions you might have about the program contact us at: email@example.com or 1-800-328-6189.