Contact Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada

Frequently asked questions

How do I file a trademark?

You can register your trademark with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office:

The IP roadmap for trademarks provides an overview of the trademark registration process:

I lost my code for the Connecting Families initiative. Can I get another one?

Unfortunately, if you lost your letter, you will not be able to register for the initiative. Privacy laws, particularly provisions of the Income Tax Act, prevent us from confirming whether a letter was sent to a particular residential address. For this reason, we are not able to recover a copy of the letter to reissue the code.

How can I get grants or financing for my business?

Get a tailored list of government programs that offer financing, grants, tax credits, government-backed loans, wage subsidies and expert advice:

How do I reset my password for My ISED Account?

For accounts that use a GCKey username and password, you can use the "Forgot your Password?" option on the Welcome to GCKey Sign In page.

For accounts that use a Sign-In Partner username and password, contact your Sign-In Partner for assistance.

How do I get a radio licence?

To get a radio licence, contact your regional Spectrum Management office:

How do I file a patent?

You can patent your invention if it meets three basic criteria:

  1. It is novel – the first of its kind in the world.
  2. It is useful – it works and is functional and operational.
  3. It shows inventive ingenuity – it is a new improvement to an existing invention that wouldn't be obvious to someone skilled in that field.

A patent can only be granted for the physical embodiment of an idea (for example, the description of a plausible door lock) or for a process that produces something tangible. You cannot patent a scientific principle, an abstract theory or a mathematical formula.

For more information:

How do I protect my copyright?

A copyright provides protection for original literary, musical, dramatic or artistic works. By securing a copyright, you have the right to prevent others from reproducing your work. Copyright laws also apply to performances, sound recordings and communication signals.

For more information:

How do I get information on labelling and packaging?

Businesses that want to ensure their product labels comply with all the requirements should refer to the Competition Bureau:

For more information:

The province of Quebec has additional requirements concerning the use of the French language on all products marketed within its jurisdiction. Get information on these requirements at:

Office québécois de la langue française (in French only)
125 Sherbrooke Street West
Montréal, Quebec H2X 1X4
Telephone: toll free at 1-800-873-6202 or 514-873-6565

How do I incorporate my business at the federal level?

In order to incorporate at the federal level, you will have to file articles of incorporation.

Articles of incorporation can be filed at:

How can I file a complaint against a company?

For information on the complaint processes for different consumer issues, go to: