Latest report releases
- Firm-size wage gaps and hierarchy: Evidence from Canada
- Credit Conditions Survey - 2022
- Small Business Credit Condition Trends, 2009-2022
- Biannual Survey of Suppliers of Business Financing — Data analysis, second half 2022
- SME Profile: Rural enterprises in Canada
SME in Canada
500 employees and more;
Number of businesses with employees in 2021
Source: Statistics Canada, Table 33–10–0493–01 Canadian Business Counts, with employees, December 2021.
Number of private sector employees in 2021
Sources: Statistics Canada, Labour Force Survey (LFS); and calculations by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Contribution to gross domestic product (GDP)
From 2015 to 2019, the average contribution of small businesses to GDP was 38.1%, the contribution of medium-sized businesses was 14.3% and the contribution of large businesses was 50.0%.
Source: KSBS, December 2022