On this page
A new approach to federal investments through the Strategic Science Fund
The Strategic Science Fund (SSF) aims to mobilize the expertise and resources of independent, third-party science and research organizations (TPOs) to enhance Canada's science, technology and innovation (STI) excellence. The SSF has established a principles-based framework for allocating federal funding to TPOs that includes competitive, transparent processes to help improve the effectiveness of federal investments in TPOs. The SSF program is jointly administered by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada and Health Canada.
SSF investments will achieve results for Canadians by addressing critical needs, such as supporting Canada's knowledge economy, in ways that advance federal objectives. Read more about the program, its goals and how it benefits Canada.
- June 10, 2022
The proposal summaries for applicants advancing to the full application stage of the inaugural SSF competition are now available.
- June 1, 2022
The letter of intent assessment results for the inaugural SSF competition are now available.
- May 30, 2022
- The full application guide and assessment matrix, along with the revised program guide, are now available.
- October 29, 2021
- The deadline for submitting the SSF letter of intent has been extended until January 14, 2022. See the 2021 competition page for updated timelines.
- August 13, 2021
- The inaugural Strategic Science Fund competition has launched, with letters of intent due November 12, 2021. See the 2021 competition page for more details.
- August 13, 2021
- News release: Government of Canada opens Strategic Science Fund application process
- September 19, 2022, at 11:59 pm Pacific Daylight Time
- Deadline for submitting the SSF full application
- January 14, 2022, at 11:59 pm Pacific Standard Time
- Deadline for submitting the SSF letter of intent
- September 21, 2021, at 10:00 am Eastern Daylight Time
- SSF 2021 competition webinar (French session): Overview of the Strategic Science Fund and the letter of intent process.
- September 21, 2021, at 1:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time
- SSF 2021 competition webinar (English session): Overview of the Strategic Science Fund and the letter of intent process.
The Strategic Science Fund secretariat can be reached at email@example.com.
ISED Citizen Services Centre
Telephone (toll-free in Canada): 1-800-328-6189
Telephone (international): 613-954-5031
TTY (for hearing impaired): 1-866-694-8389
Business hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
Strategic Science Fund
C.D. Howe Building
235 Queen Street, 9th floor, East Tower
Ottawa, ON K1A 0H5