The Economic Strategy Tables are a new model for collaboration between industry and government, focused on turning Canadian economic strengths into global advantages. The Tables are chaired by industry leaders in six key sectors: advanced manufacturing, agri-food, clean technology, digital industries, health/bio-sciences and resources of the future.
Through the Economic Strategy Tables, 90 CEOs and federal Deputy Ministers gathered in 34 meetings across Canada from October 2017 through July 2018, resulting in an ambitious plan for innovation-led long term growth for the Canadian economy. The recommendations are captured in their September 2018 report.
Since then, the Government has acted on many of their recommendations, including:
- Changes to the Accelerated Investment Incentive and updates to the Scientific Research and Experimental Development Tax Incentive Program to accelerate technology adoption and support firm scale-up.
- An expansion of the Strategic Innovation Fund, to support more Canadian-based innovative firms.
- A new External Advisory Committee on Regulatory Competitiveness to make Canada’s regulatory system more competitive, while assure the health and safety of Canadians
- A significant expansion of work integrated learning opportunities.
- A commitment to delivering universal high-speed internet for Canadians.
- The announcement of a new Table focused on Tourism.
What we heard
Many views helped to shape the recommendations CEOs made in their reports.
Read the What we heard report to find out more.