The Digital Technology Cluster, DIGITAL, accelerates the development and adoption of digital technologies that help Canadians stay healthy, address climate change, drive economic productivity and build digital skills. The Digital Technology Cluster is capitalizing on Canada's world class digital capabilities and distinct advantages by growing businesses, creating a digitally skilled workforce and positively impacting lives across the country.
Total funding: up to $298M
Technology focus: Virtual, mixed and augmented reality; data collection and analytics; quantum computing
Ecosystem benefits: The Digital Technology Cluster plays a significant role in supporting the development of a healthy innovation ecosystem. They are nurturing and developing a membership network that span the country, networking and capacity building activities as well as unique collaborative initiatives. For example:
- The Digital Technology Cluster is supporting the inclusion of Canadian women in the technology sector. Through their Athena Pathways program, they are closing the gender gap in AI, and connecting 500 women to pathways into the technology sector through education programs, networking, mentorship, and internships.
- The Cluster is further advancing the commercialization of technologies through their strategic consortium structure, which requires the end user and buyer to be involved in technology projects. By including the voice of the buyer at the table, the products and services that are being developed are being iterated as they are developed, and the final solution is ready to be embraced by the market.
- Digital Health – Data driven innovation that improves patient outcomes, access to health care, and sustainable healthcare systems.
- Environmental Health – Increase the global competitiveness of natural resources companies while reducing their environmental impact and carbon footprint, through investing in resilient forestry, low impact critical minerals extraction and mining, and regenerative agriculture supply chain solutions.
- Talent – Investing in innovative upskilling and reskilling and leadership capacity building to grow the Canadian digital talent pool and meet current and future workforce demands, while reducing barriers faced by underrepresented groups in industry.