You can apply for device approvals under the United States/Canada Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA) or the International Organization of Legal Metrology Certification System (OIML-CS) to reduce overlap in the device approval process.
Note that applications can be submitted under either the United States/Canada MRA or the OIML-CS, not both.
United States/Canada Mutual Recognition Arrangement
Submit the appropriate application to both Measurement Canada and the National Conference on Weights and Measures at the same time to have your device approved in both countries. The device will be tested in the country of your choice, and the test results will be sent to the other country for review. However, if you want to have a dispenser or an electronic register for a dispenser approved in both countries, the device must be tested in Canada.
The following devices can be approved under the arrangement:
- gasoline dispensers
- high-speed dispensers
- electronic registers for dispensers
- electronic computing and non-computing bench and floor scales with a capacity up to 1000 kg (2000 lb)
- weighing and load receiving elements with a capacity of up to 1000 kg (2000 lb)
- mechanical scales with a capacity of up to 10 000 kg (20 000 lb)
- electronic indicators for scales (except those that are software based)
Note: See section 5.5.2 of OIML R 76-1 (2006) for examples of software-based devices.
Submit a type approval application to both Measurement Canada and the National Conference on Weights and Measures.
Approval of scales
Approval of dispensers and electronic registers for dispensers
International Organization of Legal Metrology Certification System
In 2018, the OIML replaced its mutual acceptance arrangement (OIML-MAA) with the OIML-CS. If your device has been approved under the OIML-MAA or OIML-CS, it can be approved in Canada with reduced testing requirements. When you submit your application, you must indicate that you wish to follow one of these systems and submit your OIML certificate.
You are eligible to apply if you have a valid OIML-MAA certificate or an OIML-CS certificate.
For the test results to be accepted under the OIML-MAA, the device must:
- be within the scope of the OIML-MAA issuing participant
- have been tested under OIML R 76 (2006)
- not have been tested by a manufacturer test laboratory
For the test results to be accepted under the OIML-CS, the device must:
- be within the scope of the test laboratory of the OIML issuing authority
- have been evaluated by Measurement Canada and meet the special and national requirements outlined on the OIML website
The conditions for acceptance are listed on the OIML website.
Check the appropriate program box on the application form and submit your valid OIML-MAA or OIML-CS certificate with your application for type approval. (Because the form has not yet been updated, you will have to select the OIML-MAA box if you wish to apply under the OIML-CS.)
We may still ask you to submit your device to us for evaluation of metrological features and functions after we have received your application for type approval.