Type approval is granted for a class, type or design of measuring device once it has been confirmed that it complies with all applicable legal requirements.
You must apply if you're a manufacturer or importer of a dimension measuring device that will be used in measurement-based trade.
Before you apply
Before you apply, make sure your device meets all applicable approval requirements. Applications submitted for devices that do not meet the approval requirements will be rejected according to the non-compliance policy.
Travel and accommodation fees as per Treasury Board Secretariat guidelines can include the following:
- expenses incurred by the inspector for accommodation, meals and incidental expenses and for transportation to and from the site (travel costs)
- expenses incurred to transport test equipment and standards
- time inspector spends to travel to and from the site
How to apply
Complete and submit the type approval application form, along with the following additional documentation:
- technical documentation describing the design, composition and construction of the device
- user manuals describing the installation and use of the device
- test results showing the device complies with the applicable requirements
Find out whether your device is eligible to be recognized under an international arrangement and how to apply.
Shipping your device
Do not ship your device to Measurement Canada until requested to do so.
Once your application is processed, you will be asked to submit a sample device for testing. Review the shipping requirements before submitting your device.