The current structure of the Strategic Policy Sector includes the Assistant Deputy Minister's office, five branches, five regional offices and one corporate services directorate:
- The Marketplace Framework Policy Branch has the primary responsibility at Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) for the development and coordination of marketplace framework policies in the areas of corporate and insolvency law, intellectual property, and foreign investment.
- The Economic Research and Policy Analysis Branch provides policy analysis to senior management and performs research on economic issues of importance to the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development.
- The Strategic Policy Branch supports the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, Senior Management and the Innovation, Science and Economic Development Portfolio by providing policy advice on a range of key micro-economic policy issues in the international and domestic context. The branch is responsible for providing strategic policy leadership by managing and coordinating the departmental policy and planning process to ensure timely, informed and consistent decisions on department-wide policy priorities. The branch also provides Ministerial support for Cabinet as well as support to the two-way flow of information between regional and sectoral clients and to the coordination and integration of regional perspectives into the Department's briefing materials, and policy and program development processes.
- The Telecommunications Policy Branch plays a lead role in developing policy and legislation that promotes competitive, reliable, innovative and affordable telecommunication services.
- The Office of Consumer Affairs provides research and analysis on consumer marketplace issues, develops consumer information and awareness tools, and provides financial support to non-profit consumer and voluntary organizations to assist in the production of high quality, independent and timely research on consumer issues.
- Five regional offices support Ministerial and Executive activities in the regions, provide regional intelligence in support of ISED programs and policy agenda, provide corporate services for Innovation, Science and Economic Development Portfolio's regional footprint and deliver programs and services to internal and external clients across the regions. The five branches are:
- The Altantic Region Office serving Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
- The Quebec Region Office serving the province of Quebec
- The Ontario Region Office serving the province of Ontario
- The Prairie and Northern Region Office serving Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories
- The Pacific Region Office serving British Columbia and the Yukon Territory
- Strategic Planning and Corporate Services manages the integrated strategic business, financial and human resources plans and reports.
See What Is the Strategic Policy Sector? and Careers in the Strategic Policy Sector.